No matter how you pronounce it, GIFs have become an integral part of how we express ourselves online. From sleepy puppers to your favorite celebrity facial reactions, these animated images bring life to what we communicate digitally--and now they're coming to your Instagram Stories.
That's right. Instagram has partnered with Giphy--a popular GIF-sharing site--to release animated 'stickers' with transparent backgrounds for users to overlay on their videos and pictures in Stories.
You may have noticed that this is similar to a recent Snapchat update that allowed select animated GIF frames and stickers to be placed on Snaps.
However, this Instagram update takes it one step further, letting users search for GIFs based off a phrase or topic--and with way more options to choose from than Snapchat.
So how do you start using this feature? Here's a quick rundown...
Using GIFs on Instagram Stories
- Swipe right on the screen to access the Stories camera from the Instagram Feed.
- Snap a pic or take a vid.
- Editing mode will automatically engage once you're done recording. Select the 'smiley' sticker icon in the top right.
- The sticker menu will pull up. Click on one of the first few icons that says "GIF" with a magnifying glass next to it.
- Search for the sticker you want, and tap it to place wherever you like. You can even pin it to specific parts of a moving video.
- Send or post to your Story and you're done!
We decided to test out the new feature ourselves to see what it offers users in the name of research. Below you will find our very, erm... "scientific" findings...
It seems Instagram won't be slowing down on releasing fun, new features any time soon--and we're here for it.
Until the next round of updates, we'll be off playing with GIF stickers.
Follow us on Instagram at @easy_media to get our Stories and Posts in your Feed!